Re: So, how much IS it worth?

Subject: Re: So, how much IS it worth?
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:58:27 -0400

John Posada wrote:

> I think that the sooner that we and the people doing the hiring move
> away from "What do you know" model, and move to the "What can you do"
> model, the sooner we'll be taken seriously.
>
> Everything you itemized in your post has to do with what you know.
> You know creative writing. You know Word.
>
> However, what can you do? Until you can do special things, you will
> not get special rates.
>
> What are special things? Walk the walk, not talk the talk. When you
> say you will get something done, do you do everything in your power
> (even if it is a MAJOR ordeal) to get it done. When asked can you do
> something, do you say yes? Not "probably". Not "maybe". Simply "Yes".
>
> When someone puts a very challenging assignment in front of you, do
> you think "COOL!", or "Why me? Am I gonna have to work extra time?"

A lot of what you say makes imminent sense. All too often there is too
much obsessing about whether periods and commas are going in the right
place, which tool is better and not enough about content and whether the
intended reader will receive a useful document. To any manager,
especially a "Dogbert" type, those obsessions are a total waste of
time. Many hiring managers feel, with some justification, that your
ability to produce is a function of your knowledge. Therefore it could
be argued that while your ability to produce is the ultimate test of
your value, without direct knowledge of your work the best measurement
of the potential ultimate value to a company is to measure your
knowledge.

--
Peter
Mailto:peternew -at- optonline -dot- net

Adapting old programs to fit new machines
usually means adapting new machines to
behave like old ones.