Re: FW: question about salary

Subject: Re: FW: question about salary
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:15:59 -0700 (PDT)

--- SM Rush <sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com> wrote:
> The fact that you really don't want the job has little to do with a
> reasonable salary. What the job itself is worth is what's reasonable, and we
> can't really say because the job is administrative, not writing/editing.

I'd like to take this concept one step further. I believe the original poster
indicated they would take the job that they don't want for the money and a need
for a full time position.

It doesn't matter what you should ask for. Unless you're willing to refuse the
job--even walk from your part time editing job--unless you consider the pay
equitable (whatever that is), you have zero leverage in this situation.

What I would do is ask nicely what they plan to start you at. There's no reason
for them not to tell you. If you don't like the number, you can tell them what
you think is reasonable, but you are going to get no more than 10% more than
the first number they mention. And no matter how well you do the job, you won't
get a 10% raise, ever, in the next five years.

I honestly don't think you have a negotiating position at all, if you're not
willing to turn down the job, so it doesn't matter what the job should pay.
Don't figure on them doing more than doubling what you are already making as a
part timer.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems
Columbus, Ohio
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/
Page Last Updated 07/15/01

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/