What to name a series of fields: a puzzle?

Subject: What to name a series of fields: a puzzle?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:51:36 -0400

Andrea Frazier needs to know <<... what to label a series of fields on the
program interface that let you create optional spaces on an invoice... The
software has a wizard that lets you design your own invoice. On this
particular screen, you can list the various engagements that you bill in a
vertical column... Each engagement and its description represents a block of
text. Between each block of text, there is a space.>>

I'd suggest using a simplified version of the same wording used in most
desktop publishing and word processing software: "Space before" or "Space
after", depending on which option the programmer has created. It might be
possible to include both options, but I suspect that would confuse the issue
without adding significant power to the interface.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents."-- Nathaniel Borenstein