PDF docs don't display as intended. Ideas?

Subject: PDF docs don't display as intended. Ideas?
From: esprague -at- kemperinsurance -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:43:39 -0500

Hello All -

In an NT environment using Word98 as the basis and Distiller4.0 as the
conversion/compiler, I'm developing long manuals (250pp - 2000pp) for use
on our intranet. Am in the process of upgrading to Acrobat 5, BTW.

Here's the thing: Although I've set options in Distiller to open the
docs/pages at specific settings (max 125%), they open in all sorts of
variations on other screens in testing. I don't even recognize some of the
variations I've seen. In addition, the bookmarks don't automatically
display when the docs are on our intranet test site.

Talking with some folks here, it appears that the variations in display is
happening with all sorts of doc formats so I suspect our problem originates
in the ways our users have defined their settings on their workstations.

I'd be interested to hear ideas about this. Am I making newbie mistakes?
Might this be a tool problem or might it be user/workstation settings? If
it's workstation settings, is there a way in Acrobat or another tool to
override what the user has set and have the docs display as intended by the
developer?
Thanks very much for any thoughts and advice.

- Elizabeth