RE: problem with image links in windows help

Subject: RE: problem with image links in windows help
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:37:26 -0600

Splitting hairs about the terminology here, because it could lead to an
understanding of the problem and its solution.

A "hot spot" in an image is typically created using the SHED.EXE
(segmented hypergraphics editor). This is old technology but works well.
FH & RH build this in, I believe. If you had a single image with
multiple places for the user to click, you could use the SHED.EXE on a
BMP to create a SHG whereby you could mark different locations in the
image to take the user to different topics. In other words, one SHG
image with multiple links.

On the other hand, if your RTF file has simply double-underlined "{bmc
my_image.bmp}" followed immediately by hidden text with the destination
context ID (or macro), you don't really a "hot spot"; you have a normal
hyperlink. If you string a bunch of these {bmc}destination_ids together,
you can get the same effect as using a single SHG. However, the
placement of the images is subject to the whims of window size,
word-wrap, text formatting (you mentioned right-alignment), and other
display features.=20

Based on your description of the problem, this could be what is
happening. WinHelp may not be truly tracking where the pointer is in
relation to the hyperlink when combined with word-wrap, etc.

Do the three buttons always take you to the same three topics? Are they
always the same three buttons?

If so, you might be better off combining them into one image, using the
SHED.EXE to create the hotspots, and then using {bmr my_image.shg}
instead of {bmc 1.bmp}id3{bmc 2.bmp}id3{bmc 3.bmp}id3.

Look on your system for SHED.EXE. Then read its help file. For someone
who has never used it, it's not intuitive. Basically, one you have an
image read in, you drag rectangles as the hot spot areas. Then you
change the properties of the hotspot area by adding the destination
context ID, macro, invisible borders, etc.

HTH

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com

<snippage>
> I'm using single-hotspot images (they are pictures of text
> buttons) in the non-scrollable area at the top of some help topics.

> When user clicks on *some* of images:
> a) first click, the 2ndary help topic open correctly
> b) click again on same image, and the print dialog box opens
> simultaneously
> with the topic.
> c) click again on the image, and the right-click short cut
> menu opens with
> the topic.

> - Buggy stuff happens when there are 2 or 3 hotspot images,
right-aligned,
> one right after the other, like a series of buttons one below the
next.