Re: ? X-refs in FrameMaker 6

Subject: Re: ? X-refs in FrameMaker 6
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 08:29:29 -0600

Hi, Marcus.

If I cross-reference between chapters in the same book in Framemaker 6, will all my cross-references go haywire when I transfer the book to another directory in order to produce a more up-to-date edition of a manual?

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you update your book and files frequently.

Is there a similar problem involved in cross-referencing between files which are not in the same book?

There can be. If you move directories, you'll have problems. It might be easier to use a variable and make general references to the other book (rather than to a specific page). If you can maintain the directory structure and update the books frequently, again, you should be okay. You might have issues with hypertext link functionality if you go to PDF.

You might want to subscribe to the Framers list. The users there can give you excellent advice, and your question would be right on target for them. To subscribe, send a blank message to subscribe-framers -at- lists -dot- frameusers -dot- com -dot-

Bill Burns, Director - Northwest Office, Scriptorium Publishing
The WebWorks Publisher Cookbook now available
http://www.scriptorium.com/books/wwpcookbook.html
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: