Free-lance rates

Subject: Free-lance rates
From: Martin Waxman <martin -at- waxman -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 12:52:13 -0400

Depends on where you're at and what the level is.
Charge what the market will bear.
For the past year, I was getting $110/hour in New York City.
Then the client decided to shift almost all technical work overseas to India where they paid very, very low rates -- they thought.
I'm no longer there -- I'm on the beach.

The work they got back from India had to be reworked many, many times -- both the technical writing and programming. Yes, the people in India knew English. But, they left out articles (a, an, the), used strange sentence constructions, mixed British and American terms, did not write concisely, etc. The resulting telephone calls and rework didn't, in my opinion keep the rate low.

Marty Waxman

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: