re: Getting what I'm worth

Subject: re: Getting what I'm worth
From: "Durkin, Maryellen" <Maryellen -dot- Durkin -at- globalcrossing -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:06:29 -0400

Hi - I'm responding to the inquiry from the person who works for a
non-profit organization and wants a 13% raise ... just asking for a raise
won't get you what you want. What I've done in the past is ask for a salary
adjustment based on the fact that I'm currently doing more work than that
for which I was originally hired. This method got me a 12% raise the first
time I used it and an 8% raise at the second job. Here's what you do:

Get your original job description (or make one, if they don't have one
printed), then make a list of all the work you've done over and above the
work outlined in the description. Also bring in the information about the
professional market standard salary ranges and note that you are still
willing to work for less than that standard because you understand
non-profit organizations are more strapped for $$$ than for-profit
corporations.

You may not get the full 13%, but you'll definitely get something AND still
have your employer's good will if you go about it the right way. Your
original message sounded as if you like your work and the organization, and
the rest of the benefits you described are excellent. I'm sure you don't
want to quit just over money. Good luck, Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Durkin
Technical Writer - SMTS
Global Crossing IPC Trading Systems
777 Commerce Drive
Fairfield, CT 06432-5500
Voice: (203) 339-7729
Fax: (203) 339-7086
email: maryellen -dot- durkin -at- globalcrossing -dot- com