RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers

Subject: RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers
From: "Carey Jennifer (Cry)" <jennifer -dot- carey -at- cdi -dot- cerberus -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 14:25:56 +0200

<<In an environment where you are given a deliverable to produce and a date
by which it is due, then left to your own devices, stress should be minimal.
I think that is the situation for many tech writers, so on average this
should be a relatively low-stress profession.>>

I concur. For years I loved the job because it was so low stress and I
could leave it at the office every day. In fact, the majority of stress that
I experience now is self-inflicted. Being a relatively new and little
understood profession (at least where I work in Italy), what is expected of
me is pretty amorphous. This turns out to be both a blessing and a curse. I
have the great fortune of working with a boss who gives me a great deal of
freedom and respect, but until recently , the result was that I expected WAY
too much of myself (like being able to efficiently and clearly document
software that is still under developement, not well defined in the
functional requirements doc which was in turn written in Engiltaliano, and
sans anyone who seems to be able to predict the future) and got pretty down
on myself for not being able to figure it out ("I'm just not asking the
right questions" I told myself). In the end, noone expects me to deliver the
undeliverable, most importantly myself. Lest I digress too far, my opinion
is that the job of TW, when clearly defined and reasonably managed, is one
of the lowest stress ones around!

Jennifer