RE: From TWer to QAer and tester

Subject: RE: From TWer to QAer and tester
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:53:07 -0400

I spent 3 months doing regression testing (did it used to work? Yes. Does it still work? Yes) to learn the application I would be documenting. Almost the most boring job I ever had. If I'm bored at work, I still get get flashbacks to construction sites I guarded with a Doberman, Bouvier de Flandres or German shepherd for 12 hours at a time (I thought I'd go for a non-traditional occupation for a while).

QA/UAT was Very Rewarding in the long term: the project managers would walk by the main tech writer (who came in at noon on Tuesdays and Thursdays) to talk to me (Mon - Fri). And would walk back to him less quickly when I explained he'd be their contact for doc updates. I'd love to reproduce his resignation letter, but it was too sad. And too stoopid.

I was lucky enough to get basic test plans: I added to and updated them, and converted them to Word and a directory on the main server at the same time (got 'em off DCF).

Steve: what are "softies"??

Karen E. Black
Technical Writer
www.dhltd.com
"If I don't drive around the park,
I'm pretty sure to make my mark.
If I'm in bed each night by ten,
I may get back my looks again.
If I abstain from fun and such,
I'll probably amount to much;
But I shall stay the way I am,
Because I do not give a damn."
--Dorothy Parker

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: