Speaking of having "lots of references"

Subject: Speaking of having "lots of references"
From: tecwright -at- netscape -dot- net (Miranda O'Connor)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 09:28:43 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:
>Personally, I'd rather built up a solid resume of good work delivered >on time, with lots of references. That takes time, but I think it gets me
>more jobs and gives me a better reputation than calling myself "senior"
>anything (although maybe Senior Cynic would be valid).

-Who can a technical writer use as a reference if his (it's my husband's quandary, not mine)immediate managers (in all his jobs, believe it or not) have been incompetent? His current manager's manager is not incompetent, but does a reference of that sort carry any weight?

-How can he ask at his current job for references without telling them he's looking for another job?

-How can he get references at all, if most of his managers have been incompetents? Would it help him to join STC and could his contacts there be used as references?

I suppose the question is really how he can get references if his career so far has been among persons he would not *want* as references, even if they'd agree it it.

My husband is a bit leery of posting himself, so I've chosen to speak for him, with his permission.

Not having viable references makes applying to places like Microsoft awkward, because it asks for references up front.
--
Miranda O'Connor

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop -at- Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/