Re: Salary Review Time

Subject: Re: Salary Review Time
From: "Lurker writer" <lurker_writer -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:12:19 -0500

Peter:

How is "seeking the highest salary possible" equated with screwing your employer? I always seek the highest salary possible because of my skills, knowledge, experience, and value add---all without malice aforethought. Why shoot for mediocrity?

Show him the results of the salary surveys (OK, so your Zip code isn't included)...they all represent averages, and if you ask for the top number, you probably won't get it, but you may come close. If you aim for something more in the middle of the road, you probably won't get that either because it's the nature of the beast to pay as little for your skills and knowledge as you will accept.

I say go for the best numbers that match your experience, education level, etc. and negotiate from there. If you're really stuck on accepting a lower salary figure, then try to wrangle some extra perqs like telecommuting option, laptop, cell phone, an extra week's vacation...

Salary negotiation implies two-way conversations. The only person who's going to look out for you (and your family, if you have one) is YOU.

Good luck..

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: