Re: Job Market - Same or Worse Than Before DotCom Mania?

Subject: Re: Job Market - Same or Worse Than Before DotCom Mania?
From: Victoria Camgros <vcamgros -at- persistence -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:23:19 -0700

At 12:13 PM 8/14/01 -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:

This discussion brings up a point I'd like to hear some opinions on:

I don't think anyone would claim that the job market in North America is worse
than it was about 14 months ago. However, is it genuinely bad? Or has it simply
gone back to what it was before the dotcom mania, and only seems worse because
things were so good last year?

It's hard to know in general, but here's what I've noticed lately:

- People *are* getting laid off. This is always bad, evil, nasty. Some say
inevitable, but really good managers I know claim its a failure in
management. Those people never presided over a layoff while I
knew them. I'd be interested in discussion by some of the
experienced managers who posted recently on the Leadership thread.

- Experienced people, laid off or not, are not taking a long time to
find new work. Sometimes they've taken a slight cut in pay (after
working for companies that pay in the upper quartile). But of four
writers I know personally who lost work last spring, all are working
now and the longest time off work was five weeks.

Well, one writer took longer, after he'd accepted an offer.

Caveat: I work in the SDK/API niche in Silly Valley, so you mileage may vary.

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: