Code examples/templates

Subject: Code examples/templates
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:01:03 +0100

I'd like to kick this in for discussion. In one of the projects I'm working
on, we provide (currently 8) code examples/templates. What I did for the
beta release was comment the code heavily, mark each comment, and refer to
the comments from the documentation. Now "Ma" below has suggested another
way of doing it (my response is below) and I really am not sure whether I'm
for or against it. On the one hand, it would certainly make that chapter of
the manual easier reading - no flipping back and forth between manual and
code - on the other, well, see my response under "Me".

Ma:
>Also, I'd like to reduce the number of references to comments in the code
>and place more of the explanation in the document. It is useful having
>specific references out to the code (e.g. see C20) but I want to be able to
>read everything in one place. It might also be useful to occasionally bring
>some of the code in the helloworld examples into the document (as we have
>for IDB examples) and discuss within the document.
>What do you think?

Me: