Re: Job Market - Same or Worse Than Before DotCom Mania?

Subject: Re: Job Market - Same or Worse Than Before DotCom Mania?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:24:06 -0700

Ehr, Meg wrote:

One thing to consider when trying to gauge the health of the job market by
the number of postings is that many companies *never* post jobs. My job was
never advertised on any job site (I know, because I would have seen it), nor
was my coworker's. In fact, I'm not sure my company has ever advertised any
of their TW positions. Instead, they use referrals, and searches for resumes
posted on sites like Monster and Headhunter. When all else fails, they'll
advertise, but if they can, they'd rather fill the position without that
expense.

This is a good point. Locally, I've noticed that companies that once used quarter page ads are now using much smaller ones - or not using them at all. Any other form of advertising that costs money, such as using a headhunter, is also down.

Many companies seem to post to their web page, and wait for candidates to come to them. I wonder if this is a simple filter: to find these jobs, you have to have enough initiative to strike off on your own, and not simply rely on the job sites.

"In defeat, malice; in victory, revenge."
-Anthony Jay & Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: