Help!!!!! I don't know where to start

Subject: Help!!!!! I don't know where to start
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:37:57 -0400

"HUDSPET", certainly one of our more unusually named techwhirlers, wonders:
<<how intimidated do you get each time you're confronted with a new project,
and how do you handle it?>>

I always get intimidated by something new, particularly if it looks to be a
long, difficult job. Double that intimidation factor if it's been a while
since I last used the authoring tools and need to get up to speed on them
quickly too. My solution? I always pamper that inner kid (psychobabble
alert! <g>) by letting myself feel that fear for a bit; one thing I've
learned is that there's no sense denying what you really feel. After I've
wallowed in it for a few minutes, I remind myself that I'm an adult, that
I've done this before--and done it well--and that it's fun once I actually
get going. Having done so, I dive right in and get to work, starting with a
more objective assessment of the job than "gosh it looks big". It's kinda
like jumping into a pool full of cold water: it goes much better if you just
do it. Once I've got a good initial overview of the project and have a table
of contents drawn up, I feel much better.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"In seeking wisdom, the first step is silence, the second listening, the
third remembering, the fourth practicing, the fifth -- teaching
others."--Ibn Gabirol, poet and philosopher (c. 1022-1058)