Re: international documentation; ATM = cashpoint?

Subject: Re: international documentation; ATM = cashpoint?
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:53:57 -0400

Bank machine. "I need to find a bank machine before we go to lunch."

ATM. Snarky teller: "You can process this transaction using our ATM."

Magic Wall. "Let's find a magic wall so we can get another case of beer." "But the Beer Store takes debit cards now, stoopid."

Karen E. Black
Technical Writer
www.dhltd.com
"Higgledy Piggledy, my white hen;
She lays eggs for gentlemen.
You cannot persuade her with gun or lariat
To come across for the proletariat."
--Dorothy Parker

From: Amanda Nance <Amanda -dot- Nance -at- VITALPS -dot- COM>

I'm doing a little bit of research on differences between American and
British English, as well as more general international documentation issues
(not necessarily English-to-English). My specific question is about the use
of the word cashpoint in the UK. Would you say, "I need to get some money
from the cashpoint"? just as Americans would say "... from the ATM"?

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: