Documentation Process

Subject: Documentation Process
From: TDean -at- envirosys -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:03:45 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I work at a software company of which the majority of our products are
results of EPA regulations.
My company is growing in size. We are split into two groups (Unix and PC
group) within the company due to our software products operating on Unix
and Windows. However, we are trying to merge, and brainstorming on ways in
make our documentation process more efficient.

Currently, our programmers will get a request to make a software change (an
ICR - internal change request). They make the change to the program, and
then they ask for a copy of a particular section in the user guide. They
make the change in the document, and send it back to one of the technical
writers. The technical writers edit and make sure it has a style (if they
have time), and then overwrite the revised file back into the folder.
If we have a problem, we mainly talk with the programmers. My bosses were
wondering if there was a particular software that would allow people
(programmers or writers) to check in and out files. For example, three
people can check out the same file, and each make their own changes to it.
Then, check it back in and have the three different sets of changes tracked
in one file so the technical writers will not have to look at three
different copies and input the changes. I think this is impossible. My
opinion is that our documentation process should be organized in a more
efficient manner. It does not make sense to me for programmers to have to
write in the user guide, and have the technical writers edit their work??
In my last job, the programmers or support would submit an user guide ICR.
Then, I would try to make sense of the software change in my head, and
update/write the manuals. However, in my current company, there is not
enough time for the technical writers to understand the material. We have
project managers and trainers that interact with our audience (users) so
shouldn't we interact more with project managers and trainers instead?

If anyone out there works in a software company, would you please share
your documentation process with me? We are also trying to get more control
of release notes, specifications, and technical articles as well. Let me
know your scenario, thoughts, or suggestions!!

Thank you ever so much,

Tina Dean

=^.^=
*