Re: A Question of Ethics (was: Overriding Acrobat User Settings)

Subject: Re: A Question of Ethics (was: Overriding Acrobat User Settings)
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:18:00 -0500

>First, the programmer who was arrested was not directly involved with
>the development of the de-encryption software. This is a point that the
>FBI has deliberately obscured, and the mainstream press has not bothered
>to probe enough to find out what was actually happening.

And a point that all of his defenders have obscured, is that he wasn't all
that far removed from the software. He wasn't simply talking about it. He
wasn't arrested for speaking, no matter how devoutly we might wish it to be
so clear-cut. He was handing out copies of the software. It's quite
possible nothing would have happened had he not been distributing copies of
it personally.

Pay attention particularly to paragraph 3:

"Dmitry Sklyarov, a lead programmer for Russian software company ElcomSoft,
was arrested Monday morning for distributing the company's Advanced eBook
Processor."

In short, he wasn't just talking about a discovery; he was handing out
software that exploited the discovery, and it was the latter act, not the
speech, that he was arrested for.

People, Techwriting is about research and accuracy. We should all be expert
fact-checkers at the very least.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224