Audience Analysis

Subject: Audience Analysis
From: "Pegasus Writer" <pegasuswriter -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:16:48 -0500

Hello All:

I did a search in Techwrl archives, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. If you know of an article I should read, please refer me. In the meantime, if it isn't too redundant, I wonder if any of you would share what processes you use to do an audience analysis. I'm interested in hearing about what sort of questions you include in your analysis, how often you perform an audience analysis, and anything else you deem relevant.

FYI/Background: The company I work for did some sort of audience analysis about 3 years ago--or there about. I haven't been able to locate any internal documentation for it, but have been assured we did one (I've only been here for 6 months). The industry (optical disc manufacturing) we are serving is changing (and will probably always be in a state of change). Previously, one of our customers might have a large highly trained technical staff. Now, they may have two engineers supervising a team of folks with some(perhaps)specialized knowledge or skill for particular technical tasks. I'm trying to build a case for conducting an audience analysis to make our documentation more useful to our customers, add value to our products, etc...not to mention trying to get our developers and engineers to make our systems and software more user-friendly. Any thoughts, ideas, considerations, references would be greately appreciated. If of interest, I'll be happy to summarize responses for the list.

Thanks,
Pegasus

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: