RE: Documentation Process [long]

Subject: RE: Documentation Process [long]
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:11:56 -0500

I work in a situation where changes to certain systems are written by the QA
tester. What happens is they write up a new field definition, using a
standard, and make the changes in OfficeVision, an AS/400 word processor.
They highlight what they changed and give me a hardcopy. I have converted
the ~3700 pages of OV help text into RH projects. I make the same change,
editing it, in RH. This will continue until 8/31/01, when we will apply a
new OS to our 400 that does not allow changes to OV docs. Then the QA tester
will get a copy of the Word doc, make their change (after some Word
training) and forward the changes to me. I'll import the doc into the RH
project and life will go on.

I told my manager that my goal for "someday" is this: when a project is
delivered to QA for testing, changes to the help text are made and the QA
tester can verify that the help is complete/technically accurrate. There's
no QA for my .hlp files now, except me. No stress. <grin>

Paul

<snip>
> When non-writers write, it is not always programmers - for example it may
> be people in training, implementation or QA.
<snip>