RE: A Question of Ethics (was: Overriding Acrobat User Settings)( 1of2)

Subject: RE: A Question of Ethics (was: Overriding Acrobat User Settings)( 1of2)
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:59:37 -0400

Andrew said:

>> If anyone knows the answer to how to work around Adobe software
>settings,
>> whether user-configured or otherwise, be extremely careful not to
>broadcast
>> it (e.g.: by posting to this list) or even write/talk about it.

>I can tell you a big hacker secret right now and I won't go to jail...

>Everything is hackable. The key is, does anybody care to hack it.

In this case, was it not a demonstration of a flaw, so
that the company could sell their OWN product or service?
They were not, in fact, ripping off Adobe's work and selling
as their own, and they were not ripping off any content
that people had "secured" in locked PDFs and selling IT as
their own. They merely poked at a format that is widely
used and recognized, for purposes of demonstration.

Would it have been convincing if they had merely claimed,
without any substantiation, that PDF locking was not only
quite breakable, but had been broken? They showed it.

>> It is ethically righteous to defend your copyrights and expect just
>returns
>> for your efforts and passion. However, when factoring
>"greed" into this
>> precept, we ALL suffer: customers, employees, the companies
>themselves,
>fair
>> use, freedom of speech, society in general.
>
>Copyright protection and greed are the same thing.

I have no problem with greed. I have a problem with
people using deadly force to implement their greed.

You are physically safe from me. I am not safe from you.

>Company's need money to survive, so they find ways to create goods and
>services that are in demand. Then they must defend those hard-earned
>developments from competitors, thieves, and loser employees
>who think its
>okay to rip them off. Hence they build security systems
>(encryptions) to
>defend themselves from nasty people.

Fine. But as we all know, it's an ongoing battle,
and it's an ongoing compromise between utilility
and effectiveness.

The lazy way out is to use force (or the equivalent,
using agents to employ force on your behalf).

If you want to keep people out, build a good lock,
and install it in a substantial structure. Accept
that eventually someone will discover how to get
past it. At that point, you either invest some more
effort in the next generation of locks, or you
decide that too few persons will be sufficiently
motivated to defeat the existing locks. Deal harshly
with anyone who enters your actual premises unauthorized.

Distributionn media are not premises.

All the kafuffle is really Adobe (and other software
companies) using force to shore up a flawed model.
The model is that they are /s/e/l/l/i/n/g/ renting
software (code, instructions) for use on customer's
computers.

That model is going to die soon, if Microsoft and Sun
get their way (never mind the Open Sourcers).
Most people will stop using applications
on their own computers and will instead use free
thin clients to run software on remote servers (ASPs).
They'll pay rent for the use of the remote apps,
and perhaps for the use of "secure" data storage on
similar servers.

I am reminded of the "War on [some] Drugs". It's an
artificial construct that is breaking down because
not enough people agree with it.

Laws against the initiation of force, against fraud,
against misappropriation of physical property are
supportable and enforceable, because most people can
naturally agree that they don't want to be killed,
beaten, or have their goods broken or taken. The laws
work because they merely codify the fact that most
people are willing to concede reciprocity in those
areas. That is, most people see the value of conceding
rights in those areas (personal safety and safety of
physical property) in order to have others reciprocally
concede the same rights to them.

Laws that are simply made up for some people's
convenience or gain may work for a while, but
they begin to fail when the situation changes
so that enough people are inconvenienced and
do not see the utility for themselves. That is
what is happening to copyright in the digital age.

At one time it was expensive to make unauthorized
duplicates of printed works. You needed to have
pretty-well the same equipment (printing presses)
that the publishers had, and you needed to run
a large distribution network, before it became
economical for you to make money by ripping off
a publisher. As reproduction technologies became
cheap and ubiquitous, it became easy for individuals
to make their own copies. At the point where it is
just as convenient to make your own copy as it
might be to buy a bootleg copy... you stop buying
from large bootleggers. The current laws were
aimed at the big (capital-intensive) bootleg
operations, and had some utility against them.

As the current publishing model fails, big publishing
companies will expend big resources getting nasty
with "transgressors", until they finally get the
idea and close their buggy-whip factories. Certainly
they'll hold on while bound paper remains the most
convenient model for consuming written material,
but as digital readers become truly ubiquitous,
they'll have to switch to some other model. It'll
be too easy for people to acquire content. The
publishers (who may eventually be simply the
authors) will have to provide some other value,
some cachet. There's a reason why an original,
single, oil painting fetches more money than one
of X-many signed lithographs. Mass-produced un-signed
copies generally fetch lots less than the signed,
numbered lithos.

Several popular music groups are actually making
more from touring than from record sales. People
value the "original", present, real, ephemeral,
non-recorded experience. Cachet.

>People (artists, writers, welders, etc.) need money to survive. So they
>work hard at producing something of value and selling that to
>companies.

And there's where the analogy fails. Writers and
artists produce something that is just too easy
to copy. If a welder produces something, you use
it in place. You've got just that single object
(boat, pipeline, trailer, whatever). Nobody else
can have the use of it while you are using it.
If you (or others) want another, you have to pay
the welder to do the same (or similar) work over
again. Welders are safe until Star Trek replicators
become a reality.

A welder becomes wealthy by becoming more efficient,
or by doing demonstrably better work, so that s/he
can either produce more in a given time, or produce
that which is considered more valuable than what other
welders can produce. A welder, no matter how good,
does not get to sit back on his/her ass and watch
royalties flow in.

There's the difference. Writers and arteestes want
somebody with a gun to help them get paid over
and over for a single effort.

>Then they must defend those hard-earned products from losers and slimy
>companies that want to get their work free or for very little money.
>Hence they get attorneys and writers' unions to defend them
>from big nasty
>companies.

See above. The welder (or farmer or anybody else
who directly produces something tangible) is certainly
NOT defending any such thing. They get paid for
their latest work and they move on.

You folk are supposed to be technical writers.
Some of you are making money from the artificial
contrivance of copyright, because you write books.
The rest of us (the majority?)really could not
care less if copyright vanished tomorrow. I put
the copyright claim statement on every manual
that I write, but only because it is expected.
The chances are vanishingly small that my company
would ever pursue anybody for re-using what I write.

Some of you may be writing columns and features
for periodicals, and so may think that copyright
is doing you some good, but for the most part
it is irrelevent in that arena, too. Most of
what appears in periodicals is timely, and
therefore soon loses its utility. Ask your
magazine publisher how often they pursue anybody
for stealing old columns... or even how often
they receive requests from anybody but libraries
and school-teachers for permission to reproduce.
With today's technology, it's simply too easy to
write a "new" article, quoting a few verbatim
passages, but otherwise paraphrasing in order to
make some new point, to match the style of the
new periodical, or simply to make the old words
fit the new column space.
Why bother with exact lengthy quotes that you
have to pay for?

>The point is - you are no different than a company. You're protecting
>yourself, they are protecting themselves. Just because they're
>bigger and
>have more resources than you does not mean it is okay to steal
>their work
>or technologies.

The defeat of a locking mechanism was not
a theft. Adobe's technology was still intact
in their (Adobe's) hands. They were not in
any way prevented from using it. At the same
time, the people who demonstrated the defeat
of the algorithm (or the implementation) did
not steal the technology, and did not use
the technology. They merely showed something
about it. If that's inconvenient to Adobe,
well that's tough. If the revealed failure is
sufficiently important, then customers will
demand better, and Adobe will expend some
effort to plug the leak. On the other hand,
it may be that most customers would find it not
worth the bother. Anybody who truly wants to
do more than mildly inconvenience an "un-
authorized" reader is certainly going to use
procedures and tools that are more secure
than Adobe's PDF locking. Wouldn't you?

(continued next post)

/kevin