RE: Copyright violations

Subject: RE: Copyright violations
From: Gabrielle Kirsch <GKirsch -at- starbucks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:53:56 -0700

De-lurking to throw in my 2 cents.

A similar violation was recently discussed on Seattle Digital Eve. In that
case it was an adventure/outdoors site with a lot of intellectual property
that had been ripped off.

The author tried to track down the domain name registration through whois,
but wasn't sure the information was up-to-date. He ended up calling the host
ISP, saying what the issue was, asking for a copy of their ToS (they didn't
have one), and sending a registered letter to both the ISP and the contact
through whois stating that this was infringement.

He did this all without the aid of a lawyer and, within a week, the
offending site was totally down, although he was not sure why (user or ISP
decision, or maybe just technical difficulties).

Since Digital Eve is very, very sensitive about forwarding posts off the
list, I can't forward the actual e-mail, but if you contact me off-list, I
will give you some more information.

-Gabrielle

<snip>