Re: Writing Proposals

Subject: Re: Writing Proposals
From: "Michael West" <mike -dot- west -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:34:17 +1000

"Meena S" <meena -at- thinkbn -dot- com> wrote in message news:118921 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Hey everyone,
>
> One of my colleagues just asked me how to write a Technical Proposal. To
be
> frank, I am stumped- even though I am a Technical Writer, I have not come
> across any good technical proposals. A search on the Net did not yield
> anything really good.
>
> Can I get any suggestions or thumbrules on what a good Tehcnical Proposal
> should contain? POinters to other resources will also be very helpful
>
> Thanks- MEENAKSHI
>
> ---------------------
> Technical Writer
> Think Business Networks

"Technical proposal" addressed to whom? Proposing what?
It would be easier to help you if you'd specify the purpose and
audience. There are important differences between unsolicited
proposals and those submitted in response to RFPs.

Technical proposals are not significantly different in general
structure from other business proposals, and there are plenty
of books on proposal writing.

A good proposal presents a carefully structured plan for
bringing about a proposed solution. Regardless of how
technical the details are, the arguments must be persuasive.
logically organized, and they must demonstrate that the
proposer has a detailed and comprehensive understanding of
the problem as well as the skill to solve it.

Here is a typical structure. However, if you have been
given an RFP, follow it carefully.

Introduction

Establish the need for your solution, and summarize the
benefits and gains to be derived from the proposed solution.

Technical section

What will be done, and how, and when.
Demonstrate in detail all benefits to be derived. Consider
including a non-technical summary for managers who
don't need the technical details, but do need to be
convinced that you've covered all the important points.

Management section

Convince your audience that you are the right
person/company for the job. (Resumes and case
histories in support should be in appendixes,
but briefly mentioned here.)

Budget

Show all costs.

Summary

Briefly restate the problem to be solved and the
benefits to result from the solution.

--
Michael West
Melbourne