RE: OT (?): graphics resolution question

Subject: RE: OT (?): graphics resolution question
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:54:04 -0400

PPI is input, DPI is output, and they do not equal each other. But, seeing
as you're in the market for a printer, you want LPI, not necessarily DPI or
PPI. *g* Your PPI (pixels per inch) is how many picture elements there are
per inch, so to speak. But, your DPI (dots per inch) are how many specs of
color are in an inch, making the image. Linescreens though (LPI) measure the
overall output quality of your output. See
http://www.intaglio.com/linescreen.html for linescreen info. You want a high
LPI... 120 or better for high quality output. High DPI is also preferable,
as the tighter those dots appear, the better quality an image you'll get.

And FWIW, don't get an "all in one" unit. They aren't as sturdy and high
quality as the individual units, and when one breaks and you have to send it
to the shop for repair, you lose all the other functions with it. My advice
is to buy individual components, unless you absolutely don't have the space
for them all.

Food for thought.

*****************
BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N
1881 Worcester Road
Framingham, Mass. 01701
T E L * 508-879-8400 x316
F A X * 508-879-8500
www.courion.com
THIS EMAIL CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
MEANT FOR THE INTENDED RECIPIENT ONLY. PLEASE
DELETE THIS IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED IT IN ERROR.