RE: More ethics... (for plumbers)

Subject: RE: More ethics... (for plumbers)
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:10:18 -0600

Expect them to soon take a page out of the Microsoft NET playbook.

Once the plumber has installed your new toilet, they'll want to start
collecting royalties on your water bill based on how often you flush and
whether the flushing was for a number 1 or a number 2.

Or maybe they'll install it for free, but lease it to you with payments
made as part of your rent/mortgage payment.

If you decide that it is silly to lease something that used to be
included in your home, de-installing it causes the shower, garbage
disposal, and dishwasher to back-up. The error message will say
something about missing or incompatible shared components.

Of course the handyman will attach a micropayment to your electricity
bill for every time your electric garage door opener is activated. The
dry cleaner will embed a chip into your leather coat that can detect
radical changes in temperature -- an indication that the coat is being
worn outside; you'll be charged extra at the cleaners for each instance
of excessive exposure to sunlight, moisture, or cold.

Soon everyone will be like Microsoft with a means of collecting
royalties for doing nothing much except shrink wrapping a pressed CD and
inserting it into a cardboard box. Money will lose its meaning and we'll
all have to start working on real things again.

<g>

Glenn