RE: Browser limitations

Subject: RE: Browser limitations
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:20:34 -0500

> Best one I've seen is at:
>
> http://www.webreview.com/browsers.browsers.shtml

Thanks for the lead Arlen. I was having trouble linking to the page you
recommended until I realized that the correct URL must be;
http://www.webreview.com/browsers/browsers.shtml

It looks like a decent source, pretty much what I was looking for. I'm sure
I can look up the info on browsers for the disabled easily enough, and the
request for info on Palm, WAP, etc., should be simple to find too, though
that info is more in the "nice-to-know" category than something I really
need for now.

On my personal website I haven't tried to do anything fancy, but it did
surprise me when I looked at the server logs the other day and saw that
several hits to the site this week were from someone using Netscape 2.0.
When was that around...1995 or '96?

I still remember tooling around the 'net on Netscape 1.0 with the _limited_
options for formatting, and that horrible battleship gray background. No
options for wallpaper or setting background colors at all. Still, it was
pretty cool stuff compared to a plain text screen, accessing the Internet
through a Lynx text browser on a dial-up telnet connection at 2400 baud.

I'm also mourning the passing of my original email address at the end of
this month. The community access server gave up a year or two ago on
providing Internet access, and now they just lost their funding to maintain
free email. Bummer.

David Berg