Re: OT--Desperate--Need Adobe Acrobat Guru

Subject: Re: OT--Desperate--Need Adobe Acrobat Guru
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:06:43 -0400

Lee,

Here is one solution.

1. Use Document > Number Pages to assign Acrobat page numbers to the entire document. These are the numbers that appear below the thumbnails. You can set these up in ranges, such as chapter ranges, if you like. For example, you could use lowercase roman for the frontmatter, 1-1 for the first page of chapter one, etc. Or you could just leave the default numbering in place (beginning at 1 and continuing throughout the document.

2. Create a document in Word that has a folio where you want it on the page, in the font and size you want it in. You may want to have a few pages so that you can account for left and right positioning, one-digit vs. two-digit, etc. (You don't want to be positioning these by eye in Acrobat, as there are no rulers to work with.)

3. Create a PDF from your dummy document that just has the folios.

4. Using the Object Selection tool (the black arrow) in Acrobat, select a folio that is the correct format and position for the page you are looking at. Copy it. Paste it onto the page of the real document. It will go into exactly the same position that it was on the dummy page.

5. Page Down, and Paste again. Continue throughout the book, doing one style at a time (position and number of digits).

6. Switch to the Text Touch-Up tool (the outline T). Click into each folio and retype the correct number, keeping your eye on the thumbnails to make sure the numbers match.

Yes, this is tedious. But doing it will take less time than writing a program to solve the problem. So unless someone offers you a cheap plug-in that you can download, install, and use in less than an hour, you may as well just sit your butt in the chair and get the job done.

Dick