Tracking revisions in online help? (Take II)

Subject: Tracking revisions in online help? (Take II)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:02:02 -0400

Steve Hudson reports: <<To QA something, one needs the FINAL system. I mean,
to reducto ad absurdum (simplify stupidly) how could one test a help system
based on the func spec for such? Nope - you NEED the complete final product.
So, ship your "completed" project, with robohelp's DLL's etc, to the
testers.>>

Quality assurance (QA) of the type you're suggesting is another issue
entirely, though obviously a strongly relatedone. It's easy to test the
technical correctness and readability of text that will shortly become
online help without actually creating a compiled help file. But you still
have to do a second QA step on the help file itself. Although you could
theoretically do both at once, my experience (15+ years as an editor)
suggests that reviewers do a uniformly poor job when they try to concentrate
on more than one type of review simultaneously. Editors too, for that
matter; most of us do at least two passes through any document and look for
different things in each pass. The parallel with traditional print
publishing is pretty close: when you produce printed publications, you do a
technical check and and editorial check to finalize the material as much as
possible before you begin layout. Once you've got the layout in place, then
you proofread it to make sure nothing was lost in translation, plus to
handle all those niceties such as line breaks, widows and orphans, and so
on.

Interestingly, many writers now use templates in such a manner that they're
essentially doing the writing and layout simultaneously, since the template
applies "final" formatting on the fly. There's a lot to be said for this
approach in terms of efficiency, but in the end, it doesn't eliminate the
need for proofreading the final result. I've seen this problem arise in its
worst incarnation in a database publishing environment: I once owned a GM
car whose manual had clearly been published in this manner, and while most
of the manual was just fine, several important sections obviously related to
an entirely different line of cars. Nobody proofread the final document, so
many thousand vehicles ended up with an incorrect manual.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents."-- Nathaniel Borenstein