Re: respect for the button slogan

Subject: Re: respect for the button slogan
From: "Tom Sullivan" <tsullivan -at- netexpress -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:52:38 -0700

Hey Emily,

I agree wholeheartedly. I have written some COBOL and VB programs and have
commented the begeebers out of them. I was asked why so many comments and
my answer was that the next poor slob coming in to maintain or update what I
did should have a fighting chance.

Although COBOL is a relatively "self-commenting" language, I've looked
through COBOL (mainframe) "dumps" to find the bug(s) and have nearly gone
blind trying to identify what went wrong. If the programmer who wrote the
silly thing would have put something - anything in the code to help flag
some roadsigns we could have saved bazillions in eyeglasses.

Viva la comments!

Take care and be good to yourself!

Programmers who really know the score, comment clearly and often