Re: Documentation Review Team and the Lone Writer

Subject: Re: Documentation Review Team and the Lone Writer
From: "Laura A Mac Lemale" <lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:06:41 -0400

Hello,

Wade Courtney wrote, in part, "...One idea I have been toying with is starting a Documentation Review Team. Find just one person in each relevant department, the person should have a
clear understanding of what is required of them i.e. review schedule. There
should also be a commitment from the individual to do this for you...."

Although I am not a Lone Writer and my group writes documentation for mostly internal systems and projects, we have successfully implemented such an approach. For one system that is continuously updated, we have a small team of SMEs that meets periodically just for documentation review. These SMEs are assigned to the project, and they are aware of what is expected of them. We have four releases per year, and we clearly communicate all publishing dates to the team each quarter.

I could see where such an approach would be helpful to a Lone Writer, especially one who is juggling several projects at a time and meeting various deadlines. When expectations are made clear (and enforced!), then everyone is aware of what you need and when. This may eliminate some chasing of SMEs (although there may always be that ONE... :) and may make sticking to deadlines a bit easier on you. You may also find that this approach helps you stay focused and organized.

Happy Monday,
Laura MacLemale
--

Laura MacLemale
Technical Writer, EDV

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this message represent those of the sender and not of Paychex, Inc.