Do co-workers and management value my contributions?

Subject: Do co-workers and management value my contributions?
From: "Mark Moloney" <mmoloney -at- network365 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:49:49 +0100

In your current technical writing job, do your co-workers and management
value your contributions?
<<<
I answered "somewhat valued", but perhaps it's more accurately somewhere
between "somewhat-" and "highly valued".

A short story: I had a very pleasant experience one afternoon when I went to
the back of the room to make some tea*. I turned around, waiting for the
water to boil, and noticed that very nearly every desk had at least one of
the documents I wrote on it. My document was right there, at the top of a
pile, looking like it was used. My little heart jumped (or skipped, at
least) to see that - even if nobody came up to me wanting to shake my hand
because my white space moved them** - my documents were actually being used.

Oh, and it's payday today.

"Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you
earn no money." - Jules Renard

____________________
Mark Moloney
NETWORK365
Technical Writer

Tel +353-1-276-4538 (direct)
Tel +353-1-276 4500 (reception)
Fax +353-1-276 4533
www.network365.com

* The office here is still quite small, and I sit with the development teams
in an open-plan room with a small coffee/tea station at one end of the room.

** I really liked that line of yours, Keith!