RE: Asimov - Assumptions, the audience and arithmetic - Rant?

Subject: RE: Asimov - Assumptions, the audience and arithmetic - Rant?
From: APEERY -at- FAMILYDOLLAR -dot- COM
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:00:29 -0400

Hi, Glenn, sorry to chime in so late. Observations follow, among much
snippage:

So what? Their grounding in the mathematic foundations is more solid
as
a testament to the poor level of our public schools pushing of math
and
science.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure I understand your point. If I
understand Sarah correctly, she is decrying the fact that many teachers of
technical subjects in American universities lecture in virtually
unintelligible English. I have to agree with this, having suffered through
many such. :) As a TW tie-in, the profoundest, most accurate information in
the world is useless if no one can understand it

> I have been told to my face that calculus is taught
> deliberately in this way "to screen out people who aren't
> serious about becoming engineers",
> I consider this tantamount to a public
> fraud. I have no interest in becoming an engineer, and I do
> expect to be taught calculus with no hidden agenda.

Not to take any wind from your rant, but IME:

(1) I didn't understand algebra until algebra II and analytic
geometry.
(2) I didn't understand geometry until trigonometry.
<snip>

Is the fullest understanding of any math course achieved only when
the knowledge is applied? Yes, this is true in a sense. However, should a
course called "Calculus" discourage questions about calculus? I don't see
why. If I've paid my money for the course, I expect to be taught, without
having to deal with what Sarah called a "hidden agenda."

My point is that math (and calculus) is a religion that you have to
take
on faith until you can find somewhere to apply it.

Math can be intrinsically beautiful and interesting, without
learning any application. (I can hear my father the engineer laughing his
head off at that one...) But I take your point. I remember studying
rotation of solids in second semester calculus and thinking, "What the

...To know calculus by itself won't do you much, but when you
see it applied in other areas, you become in true awe of Sir Newton
for
having come up with it in the first place.

I was in awe when the concept of finding the area under a curve was
explained to me. OT, but cool!