Re: Vancouver Job Market: Another Observation

Subject: Re: Vancouver Job Market: Another Observation
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 17:33:46 -0700

Moe Smith wrote:

By my count, approx. 20% of my resumes went to companies in Vancouver, but 2/3's of my responses/interviews came from vancouver, as well.

Your tallies match mine fairly closely. Maybe it's just that Canadians are politer? (Old joke: How do you get twenty drunken Canadians out of the pool? You say, "Please get out of the pool").

Yet there does seem to be more happening in Vancouver than in much of North America. I don't think the change in government has had much to do with it; it's too recent for any effect, and I anticipate worse labour unrest than we've had since 1985. However, the poor showing of the Canadian dollar against the American may have encouraged more branch plants of American firms. As for small companies, while the casualties in the high-tech meltdown have been heavy, new small companies are easier to start than medium or large ones. My impression is that many people have been displaced, but that most have managed to find work of some sort.

"We feel the breeze from the storm to come,
And up and down this coast
We're waiting for the wheel to turn."
-Capercaillie, "Clearances"

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: