To utilize or not to utilize

Subject: To utilize or not to utilize
From: "Stegall, Sarah" <sarah -dot- stegall -at- terayon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:47:39 -0700

Upcoming wrangle with my PM over the phrase "Bandwidth Utilization". I
maintain that "Use" or "Usage" would be more consistent with proper English,
*and* save our GUI developer space on his page. Our GUI developer's native
language is not English, and seems willing to change, but the Project
Manager (who is a marketing guy, not an engineer), maintains that
"Utilization" is the (everyone bow now) "Industry Standard" and we should
stick with whatever the industry is comfortable with. I forebore to point
out that the "industry" seems to be quite happy with rampant misspellings
and the use of the apostrophe to create a plural noun. :)

Anyone else had any experience with this sort of thing? I should point out
that Tech Pubs has been specifically requested to comment on the GUI, so I'm
not butting in without an invitation. :)

Sarah Stegall
Senior Technical Writer
Terayon Communication Systems, Inc.
(408) 969-2131
sarah -dot- stegall -at- terayon -dot- com