RE: Translation Project Management

Subject: RE: Translation Project Management
From: Rick Kirkham <rkirkham -at- seagullscientific -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:48:22 -0700

It is not clear to me why you got Trados training or even own Trados.
Normally, Trados is a tool used by translators, not people who are merely
managing a translation process. I'm not clear on what you would use it for
in your situation. If the help had been translated once before into Italian
without the use of any CAT (Computer Aided Translation) tool like Trados,
then maybe you could use the Alignment tool in Trados to create an
English-Italian translation memory. (Although doing an alignment is also
something normally done by a translator.) But that doesn't apply in your
case. Maybe Trados has some capability that I don't know about that would
give it a genuine use for you.

As far as managing the translation memories, there's so little to it, I
don't think it can even be called "managing". You simply include the
translation memory as an additional deliverable due from the translators
when they deliver the final Italian documents. Then you save the translation
memory files until your English help has changed enough to need
retranslating into Italian. You will send the translation memories, along
with the latest English, to the translator who should give you a deep
discount on the sentences that were already translated.

I do recommend that you insist that the translation memory be delivered not
just in native Trados format, but in TMX format as well. The latter format
can be opened and used in all the major CATs, so when you next go shopping
for a translator, you are not limited to those that own Trados.