Breaking into Contract Work

Subject: Breaking into Contract Work
From: herring_b -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 11:55:2

Hello all,

I have worked in permanent technical writing positions for 6 years now. I
am interested, however, into breaking into contract work. I am most
interested in the unique challenges and variety that would hopefully be
more prevalent in contract situations, as well as some of the freedoms from
corporate politics...all of which have been discussed recently. My
question, however, is what is the best way to make this transition? There
are several contract positions posted on my local STC job bank. However,
I'm not sure of what type of situation would be best for a newbie just
getting started. I am most concerned with the transition to the next
contract, once the original is up, so there are no major gaps in
employment. None of these positions explicity state a time frame. I am sure
all of this is relative to my risk tolerance and personal situation, so I
am more interested in hearing others' stories regarding their transition
and what made it easier or harder. Also, what about agencies? Is this a
recommended way to go in the beginning?

Thanks,

Brandi