RE: Baiting for the single source rant

Subject: RE: Baiting for the single source rant
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:19:58 -0600

Hi Andrew,

I just wanted to thank you for rising to taking the bait and provide
your thoughts on single-sourcing. It has allowed for some interesting
discussion.

All of your points -- even in the edited format below -- are valid. If I
were to take issue with them, it would be along the lines that these
valid negatives are not so overwhelmingly convincing in all cases. To
make a point and to underscore some of your negative experience, you
generalized.

The negatives are not without some offsetting positives (not listed, but
buried in many of the responses). Some of us even see some of the
negatives as positive perks to the endeavor (like crude tools that
require customization and having to tweak the output later).

In your experience as a technical writer firefighting consultant, you
see and overcome the negative on a regular basis. It is your
bread-and-butter.

Thanks for providing your perspective.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com

[Much snippage below}