RE: Hey! Look at what * I * am!

Subject: RE: Hey! Look at what * I * am!
From: "Padova, Kathleen" <kathleen -dot- padova -at- paytrust -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:56:53 -0400

Bill wrote:
>I once worked with someone (an engineer of manager level, not title) who
was
>rather put off by my comment to a co-worker at lunch that my low-speed
>Celeron was just too underpowered for what I did. He asked me (not that he
>was included in the conversation, but he always felt it necessary to give
>his 2¢ anyway) "Why would you need a fast machine? You're a tech writer!
You
>don't need a powerful machine to run Word." I then explained to him what I
>did there. The following Monday I received a development-grade Pentium III.
>:)

Kathleen replies:

Quite honestly, that's why I kept the title "Information Developer". No one
here has a clue what that is; but they understand what developers do. It
gets me access to all the development drives and database privileges I need
to do my job. I received a development quality machine loaded with most of
the developers' tools on my first day. Being lumped in with all the
developers ain't such a bad thing.

I *did* learn basic programming skills to maintain the illusion, though :)

5 years ago, as a "technical writer" at one job, I went through 4 POS PCs in
6 months. Fortunately my boss' boss had his hands on the last one (a Zeos)
before it blew up (right after I asked, "Um, shouldn't you unplug it before
you do that?"). Then I got a brand new Compaq.

--Kathleen