RE: question on speedy collection of engr info

Subject: RE: question on speedy collection of engr info
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:21:16 -0600

There has been some discussion on this list about it. In fact, a new
list has been started: the nettechwriters group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nettechwriters

Documenting the arguments to a command and information about that
command in an SDK is what I call reference material.

To give you the nutshell version of my religious beliefs, I believe that
such reference material belongs in, or is, the source code and that's
where it should be maintained.

I put specially flagged comments into the source code that the
developers and/or I maintain. A free off-the-shelf tool (Doxygen)
extracts these comments along with the actual prototypes into a
documentation system. I maintain the "how-to" information separately in
FM and merge them into the system later.

If you use the source code as your source, all you'd have to do is check
out the create CVS version and generate your reference doc's for that.
At the very least, you're prototypes would always be accurate.

The hard-part is playing ball with the developers and getting them to
trust you mucking with their code (comments). Another hard thing to
swallow is developers mucking with your descriptions. ... Ah, but
commented code is its own reward to engineering, as are accurate
prototypes to the SDK user.

I'll be happy to give you details off-list.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com