RE: Baiting for the single source rant - Bill's last words this t ime around

Subject: RE: Baiting for the single source rant - Bill's last words this t ime around
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:42:47 -0400

Andrew wrote:

> I am not trying to reduce redundant text authoring. Many of
> my clients could care less about this issue. We are way more concerned
> with the technical accuracy of the text. God (aka B. Gates) invented
> copy/paste to handle redundant text. We surely don't need to spend 2 years
> and $900,000 to solve a problem I can solve with [CTRL][c] / [CTRL][V].

I'm sorry that it takes you 2 years and $900,000 to solve a problem that
took me 2 weeks with a tool that I already had (FrameMaker). Copy and Paste
is a big issue for me. I have one basic manual with 4 variants for different
audiences (1 complete reference, and 3 separate references for different
groups of people who typically use different, but over-lapping, sub-sets of
the product). This is one 500-page manual, one 400-page manual, and two
250-page manuals. We may have more than one release in a year. And I am the
lone tech writer, also responsible for documenting other products.

With all this information and tight deadlines, I don't want to forget to
copy and paste a change to one of the appropriate variants of the manuals. I
update once, and this change is in place in up to 4 different versions of
the manual.

When I started, these variants had been maintained by copy/paste. It may
have worked at first, but eventually information got out of synch; this was
especially compounded whenever the tech writer changed and the new tech
writer did not immediately know all the places where the same information
might be duplicated.

I agree that single-sourcing, or any "hot" area can be a big time sink and
waste of time for some people... For example, I was in one tech writer/other
titles job where my written output was limited to a few training guides and
brochures - but my manager had me spend time investigating SGML solutions!
But if it weren't single-sourcing then those same people would be
re-organizing their files and spending countless hours reading e-mail
lists... oh, wait ;-)

- Michele

Michele Marques, Technical Writer
AUTROS Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
marquesm -at- autros -dot- com <mailto:marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>

This material is intended for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, proprietary, confidential and exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the material to the
intended recipient, you are notified that dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please contact the sender immediately via e-mail and destroy this message
accordingly.