Desperately seeking keyboard graphics?

Subject: Desperately seeking keyboard graphics?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:32:58 -0400

Joyce Fetterman wonders: <<Can anyone point me to a source for graphics
showing 3270 and 5250 keyboard layouts?
I've been searching the Web, and I've seen hundreds of keyboards and
function keys... but not what I need. We require graphics showing the
function keys (only) for 3270 and 5250. (On the 5250, PA1 is replaced by
Help, PA2 - Print, Attn - Page Up, and Sys Req - Page Down.) These graphics
will be used in a software product, so I won't use copyrighted images.>>

I can't provide specifically what you need, but may be able to provide a
useful workaround that's also a generally useful tool: pick up an
inexpensive digital camera if you don't already have one and photograph the
keyboard. If not, you can easily get new or used previous-generation models
for less than US$200 with a little searching. If you're producing software
that uses this keyboard, it's highly likely that someone nearby (perhaps
even in your own company) has the keyboard and will happily let you
photograph it. Once photographed, you can either use it as a bitmap image,
or use software such as Corel or Illustrator to autotrace the image and
convert it into a graphic.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot; others transform a
yellow spot into the sun."- -Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)