RE: Single-Sourcing with FrameMaker: How do I do it? (long)

Subject: RE: Single-Sourcing with FrameMaker: How do I do it? (long)
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 12:14:06 -0600

Something else to consider when PLANNING for using text inserts is the
amount of cross-referencing you want to do.

If your text insert references things outside of itself (or outside of
other text inserts), no problem. You'll be able to use that text insert
multiple times. This would be used, for instance, to refer readers to
introductory material.

If your text insert references things that are inside of a text inserts
(itself or others), you'll have problems based on 2+ usages of the
target inserts.

Specifically, FM has unique identifiers for each occurrence of a format.
This is what allows FM to locate the exact target for cross-references
in the first place. When the target is inside of an insert and when that
insert is used multiple times, FM can have problems resolving a
cross-reference to a single (or correct) instance of the text insert.

Hence, when PLANNING for using text inserts, sometimes it is better to
have headings _inside_ the container document and _outside_ of the text
insert. The headings would be unique for the book/container documents
and would allow a cross-reference from anywhere in the book to that
point. The heading would be followed by the multi-use text insert.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com