RE: Working for a subcontractor

Subject: RE: Working for a subcontractor
From: "Malone, Jay Ms., RCI - Vienna" <jmalone -at- ResourceConsultants -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 14:56:40 -0400

Lisa asked for others' experiences about working as subcontractor.

She mentioned an overall lack of respect, appreciation and security in
the subcontracting world.

Lisa, here's my experience: I was hired by a software subcontractor
(consulting firm) to work on-site for six months at the contractor's
site and ended up staying three years before getting this gig at another
consulting firm. I was the only tech writer employed by the software
subcontractor.

The other company (a very large consulting firm) did make me an offer,
but it was lateral (The HR person equated the subcontractor with a temp
agency -- it wasn't -- and assumed I didn't have benefits -- I did: 100
percent company-paid -- and when salary and benefits were factored in, I
would have taken a de facto pay cut.) That didn't necessarily denote a
lack of respect -- she was just doing her job by trying to save her
company money. I didn't take it personally -- it's just business. But I
did learn that my pay exceeded that of everyone in the department that I
was subcontracted to, except for the senior management.

In the beginning, though, there was a tendency among some of the
programmers to see me as glorified administrative help. But as they came
to know me and my work, that perception changed. Respect is something
you have to earn, every day. And sometimes the work was cruddy, but
hey, that's just another fact of work. Sometimes it's cruddy.

If I needed access to files or server shares or applications or
whatever, I just asked for them. The system administrator always said no
at first, but once I demonstrated a need for them I always got them.

And as far as company picnics and parties: Yeah I was excluded. They
weren't invited to ours, so why should we be invited to theirs? Anyway,
IMO, who cares? I wouldn't have gone had I been invited. They're
boring, and someone in authority always ends up getting way too drunk,
and it ends up harming everyone's perception of each other and forever
coloring your working relationship.

At any firm, you are responsible for your own career. You have to seek
opportunities for advancement and training. But remember: you aren't
your client's employee. Except under rare circumstances, your training
won't come directly out of their pocket.

You mentioned that you have only a few months' experience. Do you mean
as a subcontractor or overall? Either way, it's good that you found out
early that it isn't what you thought it would be. With all due respect,
however, I wonder if working in-house will be what you think it will be.
If there's glory to be had, you have to make your own.

And job security? No such thing any more.

Must get back to work, must get back to work ... :-)

Jay
Jay Malone
Lead Technical Writer
Resource Consultants Inc.