Software Info

Subject: Software Info
From: "Tara Bowman" <tbowman -at- centergistic -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:04:14 -0700

Hi everybody,

Well, here I am a brand-new tech writer in my first job after graduation.
The only problem is that I am working for a small company and I am THE
technical writer. Needless to say, I am having fun tackling the job but
could use a little guidance once in a while. Most of our documentation is in
Help file format, and so far the hardcopy has been a printout of the Word
version from RoboHelp. My supervisor wants the new manuals in a handbook
format (about 6 by 81/2 inches) and I am pretty sure that there is not an
easy way to do that in Word. We have PageMaker but all I keep hearing about
from other sources (this list for example) is FrameMaker. I haven't worked
with the program but am trying to convince my department to buy a copy. What
are the advantages of FrameMaker over PageMaker? While you are at it, is
there an easy way to create the type of documentation that he wants in Word?
Too bad Adobe doesn't have a trial download of FrameMaker.

Thanks for the help,

Tara Bowman
tbowman -at- centergistics -dot- com