RE: How to become a "Contractor" not a "Sub-Contractor"

Subject: RE: How to become a "Contractor" not a "Sub-Contractor"
From: Finley Marsha <Finley -dot- Marsha -at- PBGC -dot- GOV>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 19:35:39 -0400

Andrew et al:

It's Sunday evening, and I'm at work writing some subcontracts... Yes,
Andrew, the first few years can be a bit scary! I've certainly agreed with
99% of what you've said...My business is a sole proprietorship, and I plan
to change to full "C" Corp next year. Negotiation with a gov agency as a
proprietorship was a challenge - they were not familiar with the
differences, so they had some unrealistic expectations!

I responded to Dave direct, but thought it might be worth repeating...

I recently signed a 'prime' contract with a gov agency. I had worked as a
sub-contractor for 2 yrs, when the agency decided not to renew the contract
with the prime for which I worked. They approached me and asked if I'd like
a sole-source contract... We went through thy bid & negotiation process May
- July & I signed on 1 Aug.

That was the process Here are the caveats: If you want a contract with a
gov agency, be prepared for it. You must have a complete set of books by
which you can justify your rates ('because I WANT it' doesn't work...). If
you are still an individual, immediately become a company (even a
sole-proprietorship) and establish both an identity and a financial profile
as a company.

No one keeps all the money. Self-employed people pay an extra tax that
employees don't. Overhead in this business is high - I just bought new
computers, so I know! Your overhead (general & administrative) will be much
large than you will first plan.

Bottom Line: Do a great job. Look out for your client. Keep yourself
technically proficient. Invest in your own training. Be a bargain. They'll
recognize it, eventually.

Marsha S. Finley 202 326-4100 x 3910
"That'll do, Pig. That'll do." Farmer Hoggett in Babe