Re: WTC implications low for TWs

Subject: Re: WTC implications low for TWs
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 06:51:46 -0400

sabahat -at- viragelogic -dot- com wrote:

> Both as a former [moved within the last year and a half] resident of New
> York City and a Muslim, I would like to thank everybody for their wishes,
> support, and understanding. Would also like to say that I understand the
> anger and outrage. <snip>

> Like everybody else, I spent a major part of yesterday tracking down family
> members and friends. Got my last confirmation of safety this morning. Up
> till last July my wife was a doctor at St. Vincents', the closest hospital
> to the WTC. She was there when people were brought in after an unstable
> person fired on tourist at the top of the Empire State Building. Muslims
> make up about 2% or so of the US Population and the percentage in New York
> City must be higher. There were at least 500 Pakistanis working in the
> WTC.

> As a practising Muslim, I was brought up to believe that comitting suicide
> was one way of settling once and for all that you would *NOT* go to heaven.
> Suicide and murder are equal. You are taking a life.
>
> Suicide bombing is *very* controversial in the Muslim World. People that
> subscribe to it as acceptable in *any* circumstances used to be a *very*
> small minority till very recently, but they still remain that, a minority.

All of us must remember that the vast majority of people of all faiths
are good people who are only looking to live their lives out normally
with their families, while trying to earn a living. We must not blame
them for the acts of some fanatics who have a personal agenda. I am glad
to hear that all of your family is well. The emotional scars that some
of us have from losing friends and family will head in time. I is too
easy to attack any group, especially if they engage in different
cultural or religious practices. To do so will only exacerbate our own
wounds and perpetrate hatred.

--
Peter
Mailto:peternew -at- optonline -dot- net

Adapting old programs to fit new machines
usually means adapting new machines to
behave like old ones.