RE: Article: The e-book era is here (despite reports to the contr ary)

Subject: RE: Article: The e-book era is here (despite reports to the contr ary)
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:46:42 -0400

The ebook technologies aren't anything to get exited about.

As the article says, though, electronic information has already
destroyed certain categories of books (legal and other reference
publications, especially). When all you need is a citation (and
not a parrot toy *grin*) an electronic information source rules.

Also, the "paperless" college is a great idea. My daughter is a
senior in high school and many of those kids are going to have
back problems in later years from the weight of physical books
they've been carrying in their backpacks.

As a Tech Writer, I find that I no longer measure projects in
terms of pages and books. I think in terms of topics and screens.
My personal paradigm is electronic, but not ebook technology.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)