We are a Global Village but ...

Subject: We are a Global Village but ...
From: "Web Slinger" <webslingr -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:06:40

... it is not a bad thing to love one's country.

Hello,

I am coming out of lurk mode to offer my opinion on the "Tribute" recently posted to the list. While I agree that the piece is old and inaccurate, there is an underlying theme. The theme that, in the past, America was often criticized without any recognition of all of the good things we have done.

I'm happy to see that there is little of that going on here on this list. I, like many other Americans, have been touched by the condolences coming from other members of our "global village".

However, I must address some of the comments recently made on the list.

Is America so damned untouchable that one attack of terrorism has
everybody sobbing on everybody else's shoulder?

I don't think most Americans (or citizens of other countries, for that matter) take what is happening in India, or any other country, lightly. Every time I see a news report, or read an article about some terrorist act I am truly saddened that these things are happening anywhere in the world.

The thing is, this is not just the first attack of terrorism. One of our own people bombed the Federal Building in Oklahoma City. I just think people are in shock that the WTC/Pentagon incident has eclipsed even the horror of Oklahoma City.

Speaking as an American, I never felt "untouchable"--I think I just felt lucky. That changed when the Federal Building in Oklahoma City was bombed, and it has changed even more so now.

Life is precious and that holds good for people of all countries and
races. Why is it so earth shattering only when American lives are lost?

I am certain that there were citizens of many countries of the world that were lost on Tuesday. We mourn for *all* of them.

Don't go on to the next column just like that.

Please do not assume that all of us would do that. There are many many people in this country who have dedicated themselves to helping countries all over the world during times such
as this. They are the first to send money and supplies to other countries when they experience terrible tragedies. America is often portrayed as the "bully" in our global village, but that is
an insult to the great majority of generous and warm-hearted people who live here.

What we all must remember is that people from many countries--not just America--have either lost their lives or have lost friends and family in Tuesday's tragedy. This truly is a tragedy with global implications.

I must now get back to earning a living.

Peace to all.
C.

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: