named destinations from\for bookmarks

Subject: named destinations from\for bookmarks
From: "Dahl Groenke" <gte756h -at- prism -dot- gatech -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:03:45 -0400

Does anyone know of a way to create named destinations for every(or at
least most) bookmarks in a pdf. I've been researching this and have not
found a workable solution. There are many plugins that could do the job,
but part of my problem is that I need to automate the process. Here's a
little more detail as to what I'm trying to accomplish.
I have a word document(a software manual) that needs to be converted into
a pdf. I have abobe acrobat 5.0 and have been able to(with pdfmaker)
convert directly from the word doc to pdf. This works great because it
retains all links from the table of contents in the word doc to the
appropriate pages. Now, I also need to be able to open the pdf to a
specific bookmark. We are trying to create a context sensitive help system.
I've been able to figure out how to call(using DDE) acrobat with a file and
a page number, or a file and a named destination. If I can create named
destinations for all of the bookmarks, then we could open the pdf to the
appropriate section.
So, what I am trying to do is either add, automatically, named
destinations to the word document before it gets converted to pdf, or add
named destinations to every bookmark that already exists in the pdf.
I've run across a lot of plugins that do what I'm trying to do(like
name-it, http://www.merlin-os.co.uk/), but I need to think about automating
this whole process eventually.
Thanks for any help that you can give.

Dahl Groenke
gte756h -at- prism -dot- gatech -dot- edu